Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Ringo Starr

So, today Joe and I worked on Ringo Starr's new music video for a song called Liverpool. Ok, so I am a Beatles fan, but not as hard core as most people... however, I do find that the more i listen to them the more I like them. But this shoot was an AMAZING experience.

First of all, Joe and I are pushing a cart down the hallway because we have to move our gear to the floor above us and all of a sudden a bearded Brit with sunglasses pops out of the elevator and sneaks past us as we attempt to squeeze the cart through a doorway. He smiles and says, "Oh, looks like we're all set up and ready to rock!" All I could do was laugh, smile and utter the word "yeah" as the drummer from the Beatles passes us and goes to set. A woman who happened to be coming out of the office door next to our cart walks past him and turns around and asks me with a look of disbelief, "is... is that Ringo?" I smile and nod, half amazed at the man who just passed and half amazed on the effect he had on everyone who comes within 15 feet of him.

Then, we get on set we do a few short little shots to the opening of the song, all about 20 or 30 seconds long... and then he gets on stage with David Stewart to perform the whole song and... wow!


We all kind of stopped working and just stood there watching them perform and then a chill came over Joe and I at the same time as we realized that we were watching a quarter of THE BEATLES play for us, standing less then 10 feet away, a song about The Beatles! I am serious, I could not help but smile widely and move to the beat of the song! I could feel a cold sweat come over me and our legs actually went a little weak and I think this happened to most of the room because we all were either staring at the stage with stupid grins on our faces or looking around at each other as if to say: "can you believe this!?"

After they performed a few takes and stepped off as we re-lit, Ringo passed me and I told him, "(smiling)that was amazing..." He smiled as gave me a light jab in the arm and replied, "Oh, good. Thank you." Then, after Ringo was wrapped, we all got to take a big crew picture with him and Dave Stewart! I hope to get a copy of it very soon, I'll post it as soon as I get it. but for now, here are some of my own pics:

Me in Dave Stewarts office next to an MTV Music Award and Grammy!

Joe being a stand in for Ringo!

Ringo on the left and Dave Stewart on the right.

Lots of flags.

Ringo and the Red camera.

Ringo's new album cover?

Joe and our favorite italian producer, Paolo!

PhillM tip-of-the-day: If you get an opportunity to meet a famous person, take it, even if it is unpaid. because you never know when you will get to meet them again, and next time it might be too late(like with Laszlo Kovacks).

1 comment:

elaine said...

that's so cool, phill!!! i'm so happy for you and joe. i miss you guys. i had the balls to get my laszlo kovacks book signed by him at cine gear, and even though i barely said more than 10 words to the man, i'm really glad i did. keep up the great work!!!
--elaine