Friday, February 06, 2009

Adam

I worked on a short USC thesis, title Adam last May as soon as I got back from China. I was nervous because I was so rusty after being away from LA and off set for three months. Luckily I was very excited about this film and the approach we took with it. Jon Miller, the Cinematographer, had told me that we didn't have a ton of money for lights and we couldn't do much lighting anyway, which I was very excited about because I wanted to use this opportunity to apply some of the things I had heard abut from Jim Plannete(one of my gaffing heros) about Domgma 95 and the "Cinema Minema" approach to lighting a scene.

Here are two clips from the film:
Clip 1:



Clip 2:



This film would not have been possible without the understanding and cooperation from the Director, Kyle Burns, the camera, grip, lighting and sound crews, all the actors and the entire production staff. We all collaborated to make sure that we created the images, sounds and performances that we were happy with to tell the story. I am very proud of this film and hope you all get a chance to see it sometime in the near future.

PhillM tip-of-the-day:
Good lighting should be invisible. If you can make it look like it wasn't lit then you're on the right track. Instead of working against the existing light, try to merely augment and add to the lighting that is already there in your location. It saves you time and headache to make the is already there wrk for you and not against you.

No comments: