Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Denis Lenoir, You're My Hero!

Ok, for the record, if every cinematographer who came into Mole to teach was as good as Denis Lenoir, the world would be a better place. He greeted me as soon as he walked in, remembering my name and everything! He moved quickly wit the students, we watched a few examples of his worked but he didn't talk for too long- he wanted to get out there and light.
He didn't shoot a grey card or color chart, he shoots in this controlled chaos, almost from the hip but he knows what he is doing every time. He had them do a test trying to get to the same color temperatures using first HMIs and then tungsten sources. He articulated things very well, answered questions directly, and didn't spend too much time setting up the shot but just shot away!
on top of all of that- he gave me his card and let me give him my card! He told me that I had a purpose for giving him my card and saw that I do grip and lighting and asked which one do I prefer. I told him that I hope to be a gaffer, if anything and he said he hoped to hear from me.
...So of course I just got through sending him an email thanking him for his great class and mentioned that I hoped to work with him sometime in the near future. So we'll see what happens.