Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm in Love

I have fallen in love... with a light called a carbon Arc light. Sorry, Karolina(don't worry, I still love you), you now have some competition. My favorite Mole light used to be the beam Projector... but Larry turned on the Arc today for this British director and... oh, man, I have never seen a light so pure in color temp! And this light gives you the most amazing shadows that I have EVER seen! If you are up against a wall, you can't get a sharper, cleaner shadow but the further you move the subject away from the background the shadow goes soft but still maintains it's form! There is not flicker, it's closer to daylight then HMIs, it runs on safer DC power, and it is simply gorgeous... but it does smoke and it is kinda load. But there is no bulb! It runs off a positive and negative connection of two carbon rods, creating an arches flame! There is no reflector because the two carbons get so hot they create a pin-point light source that so bright it doesn't need a reflector! This is where the term striking comes from because you literally have to strike the carbons like a lighter.
So I only want to hear you guys say striking if you are striking a Carbon Arc light.

Today I turned in my first time-card for Mole! Yay! I get my first check on Wednesday, it's not gonna be big, but it will be there. Larry and I got stuff together today for the class tomorrow... after playing with the Arcs. Brook's Institute is coming in for a power distro class, which I need to may close attention to because that is what I'll being dealing with in Boston.

I got off Mole and Andrew picked me up and we went home. The plumbers are still working on the water situation in our building. It all started with us getting cold water, a little extremely hot water, and nothing in between from our shower and has now grown to replacing the entire length of pipes on our side of the complex. But it's ok, we'll deal with it.

Andrew and I tried to finish the Rob Altman movie The Player... but it was just bazaar and we had other things to do and we just didn't really care because it was kind of boring... so we ended up just watching TV.

PhillM tip-of-the-day:
Tie all cables with a square knot, not a quick-release type knot. The reason you want a square is it's strong and self enforcing and it is also easy to get untied quickly. To undo a square knot easily(even if the rope is wet!) all you have to do twist the ropes and push them towards each other. To learn how to ties a square knot(right-over-left, left-over-right), check out the website bellow:
http://www.animatedknots.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that website is really handy, thanks!
-Ben