Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My First Grip Show

Today was pretty cool. I got to Mole in the morning and Larry and I finished getting the set ready for the LACC class that was coming in at 1pm. Larry took some test pictures of me with the caterpillar-soft-light-snoot-thing we created. It worked pretty well. Maybe we'll work on a smaller mobile prototype, who knows?

The class was really good. Their teacher had already gone over grip stuff in one of their classes, which was cool because today was my first grip show. I did a little talk on c-stands and gripping and the other equipment. It was ok, I guess- I haven't had to teach anyone in a while and I was a little out of practice with the whole standing up in front of people thing since I graduated. But it was alright. We turned on the beam projector

We had a 1K globe in the biggest beam projector Mole makes, a 20K. So, in theory, with this globe in it, you could plug it into a household circuit! That is a big light to use in a house- hahahaha. But it made a nice, focused shaft of light. We used Fog-In-A-Can diffusion spray to show the beam more. This is, by far, my favorite light Mole makes. So we had a good class and then wrapped for a bit. I am going to clean the rest of the stage tomorrow.

I got home and relaxed for a bit... I was so relaxed that Andrew had to practically pry me off the couch so that we could go to the store and get groceries. We made soft tacos for dinner and Tim came over and hung out. We watched some baseball and then played Scene It? I came in third out of... three. But it was fun. Then, after Scene It?, we played some Sega! That's right, we played some Sega Genesis! Tim and I kicked major shell in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist and then we played a little Ghostbusters for about thirty second... it was boring. Then Andrew and Tim ripped each others pixelated hearts out in Mortal Combat. After they got tired of that, we sat around and watched Andrew play Kid Chameleon while we had a very stimulating discussion about video game history. We then baked cookies and watched the Daily Show.

PhillM tip-of-the-day:
A lot of natural and "special atmospheric" elements such as rain, smoke, fog, and steam need to be backlight in order to show up on film. Conversely, you can hide these elements by lighting them from the from.

No comments: