Thursday, July 20, 2006

Indy Andyy's Last Broadcast

So, my supa cool roomie pointed out that I did not leave a PhillM tip-of-the-day on my last post. So I am leaving you with two today. Today was fun at Mole. We all got treated to lunch by Larry again for putting on a good "dog-n-pony" show for the University of Miami. We covered all the basics and even fit in a quick Q&A panel in only an hour and a half- record time! We did the usual demo of the 1K baby, lamp parts, cable coiling, stand raising, and a bit of power distribution plus we did a quick grip demo and had a book light ready to show them. Then we went to the set and showed them a bit of the art of lighting.

After I got out of Mole early, I went back to the apartment and relaxed for a bit(the bus took forever) before Andrew and his brother, Keith, got back from projecting at Norris. It's so funny because I have known Andrew since the 5th grade ad the one image I had of his brother was a little cartoon on the light switch plate in Andrews old room in Alameda(used to be his brother's room). It is also kinda funny to see the family resemblance between the two of them.

So we relaxed for a bit and then went to Popeye's for some chicken before going to KSCR, USC radio station where Andrew(aka Indy Andyy) was to broadcast for the last time. It was a lot of fun, Andrew's parents and sisters were listening, my parents were listening, my girlfriend Karolina was listening with Sofia(the cat), and I think even Joe and Spenser were listening. I am also pretty sure that we broke some sort of record in KSCR history with a total of two calls to the radios station. The only other time I've seen the phone ring is when I tried calling it to see if it worked!

I was a lot of fun, my mom called while we were talking on the air and so I got her saying, "hi" over my cell phone, that was funny. We even had a sing-along to Whip It by Devo... er, a Face To Face cover of Whip It by Devo. It is really hard being a radio DJ, though, because you have to articulate everything and can't express anything through facial expressions(a lot harder then it sounds). Well, that's pretty much it for now...

PhillM tip-of-the-day #1:
Communicate, communicate, communicate- when someone(DP, gaffer, key grip) calls for something over the walkie-talkie or out loud and you are going to get it, make sure they know you are on your way to get it by saying things like, "I'm on it," "you got it," "flying in." This way, you don't have five mute grips arriving with the same thing. It also helps to repeat back to them what they are calling for so that (A)you remember what it is that you are getting, and (B)so that the two of you can confirm that you are, in fact, getting what they asked for. I know it sounds silly, but it is the same as playing on a sports team when you call for the ball.

PhillM tip-of-the-day #2:
Before you plug in any light, make sure the switch on the light is off. If you don't, then the bulb could blow or(even worse) you could cause an arc as you plug it in. This is especially important if you are handling bates because the pins will explode(literally in your face)!

3 comments:

Indie Andyy said...

it's Indie Andyy. get it right, bud.

PhillM said...

What spelling mistake? You know I'm the best speller in the world! Hahaha, just kidding, folks, I just fixed it.

Indie Andyy said...

actually, buddy... you only fixed Andyy, not Indie. I'm not a Jones, I am an indepedent. Jeeez.