Monday, July 03, 2006

Week 2 at Mole

So Cinegear ended a great first week in LA. Week 2 started a bit slower. Monday I came in and helped clean up the sound stage(Larry gave me a pop quiz-I passed), and Tuesday I had a day off. Wednesday I helped Larry pre-rig for Owen Roizman, who was coming in the next day.


Thursday I got there extra early because of the two major events that day: (1)a class of 30+ highschool students and (2) Owen Roizman. I didn't help with the class, but I was on the panel of 9 of Larry's interns who answered questions for the kids about film school and beyond. Larry had some of his interns help him out along with ASC Vice Pres Michael Goi and famed DP Richard Kline.


I was fortunate to spend the day with Owen Roizman, cinematographer on such films like The Exorcist, The French Connection, Tootsie, and more. He now takes the photographs of ASC members for their in-magazine ad for American Cinematographer. He uses facilities ate Mole, the ASC Club House, Panavision, and even his own garage to take these pictures of all of these famous cinematographers. He ended up shooting for ASC members which included Bill Bennett, Bing Sokolsky, Mike Negrin, and this guy who I swear said his name was Jim McDougall... but I could be wrong(sorry). I was scared at first to work with all these people, and I had heard that Owen was "particular" in his work... so I was expecting the worst. But Mr. Roizman was great to work under, giving me pointers on gripping and sharing amazing stories about his work over lunch. This just goes to show that you will hear things down here about how certain people work, but you can not make your decisions about them until you have worked with them yourself.


Friday was a nice mellow day after a very exciting and full day on Thursday. Friday, the young guys from Palo Alto came back for a second lesson in power distro and lighting set-up. It was really hot and sunny while we were outside in the back running banded cable and setting up the generator. It was a good practice for being on set- yay! Oh, and I got a Mole t-shirt, too:)


So ends week 2 at Mole. Good weeks, looking forward very much to more. Oh, yeah... Hi Karolina- I miss you;)

1 comment:

Indie Andyy said...

you know, you can blog about all the fun stuff we've done like Superman and Roscoe's and rooftop BBQs and aparment hunting... the people care about that stuff, too. Aaaand how cool a friend I am =0)