Monday, July 03, 2006

Week 1 at Mole

So I have been at Mole-Richardson for two weeks now and I have a few stories already! I started off my first week at Mole by sitting in on a small class taught by my boss, Larry Mole Parker, on Monday. Larry Parker turns out to be the grandson of Peter Mole, the founder of the company and inventor of the fresnel movie light. He was teaching a group of college students who were shooting their first feature in Palo Alto. It was amazing watching him teach because most people would not openly volunteer to teach a bunch of green students so eagerly as he seems to. After the class he brought me into his office and explained a bit about the company and what he expects(attitude is #1, not experience).


The next day I came in was Wednesday; bright and early at 8am(shower at 6:30am, bus at 7). I was really excited because Mole had their brand new 10K Tungsten Par prototype on the sound stage and I was gonna help Larry take some pictures of it for their print ads. Larry has been doing all the product pictures for their catalogues for a long time(I think since the 70s). This was sooooo cool because we got to use any lights we want to light the 10K(we didn't;t use anything smaller then a 5K- wow!).


The next day (Thursday)was prep day for the Cinegear Expo. This was so much fun because I got to help set up everything, from the little InBetweens to the big 20K Mole Beam Projector! I learned how to distribute power, set up a generator, and put a huge light on a huge stand without lifting the lamp. It was awesome, and I got a free lunch, too!


The next two days, my time was spent at Cinegear. I didn't have to stay at the Mole booth, so I was free to walk around and check out the expo with my friends from San Francisco. It was a lot of fun, got a lot of free t-shirts and hats and stuff, woo hoo! My friend Ben ended up buying some sound stuff and our friend Elaine ended up winning a boom pole in a raffle!


Friday night we had a BBQ for Elaine's birthday(I got her a Mole hat- haha) and watched Alone in the Dark(so bad it's awesome)! Saturday, after Cinegear, I visited Becca and the Feinerman's. I spent the day with them on Sunday, we went to the beach and visited Becca at Ruby's. It was a good weekend after a long but fun week at Mole!

2 comments:

Gungirl said...

Thanks again for the Mole hat, Phill! I'll be checking out your blog religiously. Take care!

Elaine

Anonymous said...

Mole hats, BBQs, hanging out at the beach???? can i have some?