Tuesday, July 18, 2006

...more jobs... and Pirates, two.

Hey all,
So yesterday was relaxed at Mole. We taught a class from the LA Film School. It was fun, we did power distro and gennie stuff, they were very lively and excited. Then Larry took us(his crew... the interns) out to lunch to this Italian place right up the street. We ended up getting done super early so I took the bus home and took a shower(I skipped one in the morning cuz I woke up late-haha). After the shower, I took the bus up to Hollywood and met my friend Claver for a free screening of Pirates II. It was a pretty good movie, though I am no film critic, but it was definitely the "middle movie" of the trilogy with no significant ending and old jokes. But a lot of the CG was very impressive.

Today I got to sleep in, yay! I got to Mole around 8:30 and we taught a group of students from the USC summer program. Then in the afternoon we had a really great group of high school students who are doing a summer production course through Chapman University. It was a lot of fun, we did c-stand 101 and a quick demo on small lights. Then at the end we had a panel discussion about film school.

After that, we all went out to dinner and that is when Larry told me that I was going to get, "put on the payroll." He offered me a part-time position at Mole-Richardson- YAY!!! So I start next week, as soon as my internship is officially over. And I got a free dinner(that I ended up boxing... so now it's a free lunch for tomorrow) Can it get any better? I'll have to buy a lotto ticket and see if my luck holds out.

And I talked to Joe today, he's back- in case you didn't know. I can't wait for him to come down here, Larry wants to meet him because one of the other interns that works with Larry brought her twin sister into Mole today, so he wants to have a twin day-haha. Oh, and I got another call today about doing some G&E work for free on an AFI shoot, so my name is getting around- woo hoo!

PhilM tip-of-the-day:
When turning on a light, always announce it. However, the term, "striking" is actually an incorrect term when dealing with modern lights. The word was used when electrics would actually strike the carbon stick on the old carbon arc lights. How can you strike a light bulb? Plus, if you come from a theater background, you may get confused cuz striking means to wrap/take down whatever it is you're referring to. So, rather then "striking," you could say things like, "light coming on," "watch your eyes," or "going hot on my baby (if you are, in fact turning on a baby)"

No comments: